I can’t let an opportunity present itself and not tell you about some of my favorite makeup, hair, and skincare products from last year, and perhaps even further back. Most of these will undoubtedly follow me into 2016 and beyond or until something even more wonderful is formulated and presented to me…one of the many things I adore about cosmetics, and life in general..there’s always something new to experience. This list is comprised of items that I have reached for, repurchased, and enjoyed nearly daily. Here we go!
- L’oreal Infalliable Pro Matte Foundation, $12.99 at Drugstore.com: While the shade selection is incredibly lacking, the price is great, the staying power, matte medium-buildable to full-coverage, and squeeze tube packaging are excellent. I also find that it has a creamy texture during application that doesn’t feel overly heavy on my skin and dries down without that strange tightening sensations that I sometimes get from foundations or primers with similar claims. I know I’m on my third or fourth bottle and usually keep a backup on hand…not something I frequently do! If you can find a shade match, like matte coverage, and have normal to oily skin then give this a shot.
- RCMA No Color Loose Powder, $20 for 10 ounces at Camerareadycosmetics.com: This is a completely colorless, odorless, diaphanous setting powder that has made baking my under eye area delightful and doesn’t alter any color or base make up products that may already be on your visage. It leaves my face matte but not cakey, not that I have anything against piling on the cosmetics, and I use it every single day. If you’re oily, prefer to set your make up with a powder, or bake, this is a must have. The large size will also last you forever! Be prepared for a learning curve on how little you need, yes, even to bake, and that it may get everywhere while you’re getting the hang of it. Your vanity might look like it’s part of a crime scene so reassure your beau or gal that you don’t have a drug problem.
- Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray, $30 at Ulta.com: I was never a believer in makeup setting sprays until I tried this one. The spray itself has a light feel and barely there clean scent and the nozzle delivers a very fine mist, the perfect last step to makeup application. It takes down the powderiness without any loss of coverage and mattness (are we beginning to see some themes here). This truly prolongs the wear time of my makeup and I cannot go without it especially if I’m particularly oily or during the muggy Georgia summer. Another rare item for which I purchase back-ups.
- NYX Cosmetics Mico Brow Pencil, $9.99 at Ulta.com: This is a very slim twist up pencil that has taken over my brows! I can use nothing else and, yes, have a spare on standby at all times. The pigmentation of the pencil seems to vary from shade to shade so be aware. I’ve never experienced longevity issues from this pencil and the price is great but I seem to go through them rather quickly, but really, have you seen my brows? I prefer them like I prefer my coffee…bold and expressive.
- Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara, $2.99 (!) at Jordanacosmetics.com: Mascara can make or break your eye look. This mascara makes mine. I nearly never have an issue with clumping (when I do it’s my own fault for not discarding an old tube), no flaking or smudging, doesn’t irritate my sensitive eyes, isn’t a pain to remove, is super black and rich, and it delivers on it’s name. The BEST volumizing mascara I’ve ever tried regardless of price point. And as for lengthening? It does a pretty impressive job of that as well, but if you feel like it’s not enough in that regard this product lends itself very well to layering with other mascaras to get the look you desire.
Look for the next installment sometime next week! Be beautiful!
Sally Sweet 😉